Can teething cause nappy rash?
Teething, which often begins in babies around six months, can be a challenging time for both parent and baby. During this period, your baby or toddler may seem "out of sorts" and irritable with many minor symptoms commonly being blamed on the "teething phase."
Symptoms of teething include:
- your baby's gum is sore and red where the tooth is coming through
- one cheek is flushed
- your baby is dribbling more than usual
- they are gnawing and chewing on things a lot
- they are more fretful than usual
Teething does not directly cause a nappy or diaper rash. However, nappy rash can be caused by your baby’s skin coming into contact with stool and wee in their diaper or nappy. If your baby is suffering from teething-induced diarrhea, this may increase the likelihood of their suffering from a nappy or diaper rash.
Protect your teething baby against nappy rash causes with barrier ointment for babies:
- Make sure your baby's nappy is changed as soon as possible after it's been soiled, and use a nappy ointment during each change. Use Bepanthen Baby to soothe, protect and care for your baby's delicate skin.
- Don't forget to change your baby's nappy five to seven times a day, and applying a nappy ointment every time. Bepanthen Baby’s low friction formulation is proven to be gentle to your baby’s skin during application2. This protects your baby’s skin from further irritation. It is also important to let your baby have some nappy-free time, so that baby's bottom can air out.
Teething may make your baby uncomfortable, so it’s important they don’t get nappy rash as well.
1. Friction Study
Reference : Internal report May 2019 -in vitro tribology test (n=10 repetitions) additional disclaimer when speaking about ZnO: ** compared to two ZnOcommercially available product *Bepanthen Ointment cosmetics status UI:1600198
Help to make them feel better while teething:
- Giving your baby chilled or frozen items to chew on, such as pacifiers, frozen food, or teething rings, can help soothe their sore gums.
- You can also talk to your local health care professional for further advice on pain relief.
Treatment and prevention are very similar when it comes to nappy rash, as both involve following some simple hygiene recommendations and using a nappy ointment.
Nappy rash can occur at any time during your child’s nappy-wearing stage. Most children will experience nappy rash during this time. Fortunately, finding the best cream for nappy rash is not an issue.
Skin irritation and barrier cream for babies
There’s nothing quite like the softness of a baby’s skin. That’s why its important to give you a helping hand in caring for your precious little one.